Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie

Let's take a moment to talk about chicken pot pie. I happen to love chicken pot pie. It's comforting and delicious. It makes the house smell wonderful. Many people might think of it as a winter meal but I could eat it year round.
Back in the day my husband and I used to make chicken pot pie regularly. We used ready made pie crusts, two cans of cream of chicken soup, a can of mixed veggies, and a can of cooked chicken. It was quick, easy, and not terribly healthy. We considered it a guilty pleasure.

At some point I realized that I could create a much healthier version fairly easily by making more of the ingredients from scratch.

First I replaced the cream of chicken soup with homemade. Then the canned mixed veggies with frozen, organic mixed veggies. We replaced the canned chicken with leftovers from a chicken we roasted ourselves. Finally I was brave enough to attempt making pie crust.

And then gluten decided it didn't like me. For a few months I figured I'd just have to do without chicken pot pie. Then I realized I was being silly and I could make it just as I had done before only using a gluten-free flour mix in the crust and in the cream of chicken soup.*

Voila! We had gluten-free chicken pot pie.** It's delicious. Want to make some? This recipe makes one 9" pie.

Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups mixed veggies
2 cups cooked chicken (cubed)
2- 9" pie crusts (see recipe below)
1 recipe cream of chicken soup (see below)

First, a word about the veggies. You can use any mixed veggies you like. Cut them into bite size pieces and you're ready to go. I use organic frozen mixed veggies with corn, peas and green beans. If you use frozen veggies, thaw them before mixing them with the other ingredients. 

Putting the pot pie together is simple. First, make the crust and the cream of chicken soup. Combine the cream of chicken soup in a bowl with the mixed veggies and cubed chicken. Pour it into the prepared pie crust. Top with the second pie crust. Cut a few small slits in the top crust and bake.

You're done. Now, want more detailed instructions? I figured you would...

Let's start with the crust. I found this recipe on the Bob's Red Mill website. I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour mix because it was what I happened to have in the pantry. I doubled their recipe to make two crusts and used butter instead of margarine. The recipe below is already doubled. 

Crust Ingredients:
3 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
8 Tbls. cold milk

Combine the flour and salt in a medium sized bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork until it forms a crumbly mixture. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until well combined. Divide the dough in half and form into two balls. Roll one ball of dough between two pieces of wax paper to desired size (remember you're aiming to fill a 9" pie pan).

After you've finished rolling out the dough, transfer the crust to the pie pan to make the bottom crust. I remove the top layer of wax paper and then lift the dough and flip it over into the pan. I remove the bottom layer of wax paper (now on the top) and carefully press the dough to fit the pan, removing any excess around the top. If you have a better method feel free to use it and tell me all about it in the comments section!

Roll out the second ball of dough so it's ready when you need the top crust.

Next you'll need to make the cream of chicken soup.

Cream of Chicken Soup Ingredients:
2 Tbls. butter
6 Tabls. gluten-free all-purpose flour mix
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Whisk in the gluten-free flour to form a roux (stir constantly for about a minute). Next whisk in all the other ingredients and stir constantly until thickened. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Now you have cream of chicken soup.

Assemble your pie:

Mix the cream of chicken soup with the mixed veggies (remember to thaw them if you're using frozen) and the cubed chicken. Pour the soup-veggie-chicken mixture into the pie pan you've lined with crust. Top with the second pie crust (I use the same method I mentioned above), trim the excess crust and pinch the edges together around the rim of the pie pan. Cut a few slits in the top crust so steam can escape while it's baking.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake for another 40 minutes.
The crust will be nicely browned (but not burned) and, most likely, slightly cracked when it's finished.

Enjoy!

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the inside of this yummy chicken pot pie. It's impossible to take flattering pictures of my family inhaling it...I was lucky to get the two photos you see in this post!  

*You should know that it wasn't quite as simple as I make it sound. The first gluten-free pie crust I attempted with almond flour was a complete failure. The second try was successful despite using Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour mix which I personally think has a garbanzo bean aftertaste. My husband says I'm too picky. Next time I'll use a different gluten-free flour mix or try a whole different pie crust recipe altogether. However, the one I include in this blog post is perfectly acceptable. My distaste for it could just be a weird pregnancy taste-smell sensitivity thing. Like I said, my normally very-critical-when-it-comes-to-gluten-free-recipes husband found it perfectly lovely.

**You could easily make the recipe not gluten-free by using regular all-purpose flour and your favorite pie crust recipe.

I should also mention that making your own gluten-free items (like pot pie) saves some serious money. I've only found tiny ones at the store and, in addition to being super expensive, they only have crust on the top which really bothers me. I skipped making bread last week and my husband picked me up a gluten-free loaf at the store. It cost almost $8. For real. I'll be making my own this week! 

This post is part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Fight Back Friday, Frugal Friday, Tasty Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Monday Mania, and Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

9 comments:

  1. I am glad you were able to make a favorite dish gluten free to enjoy. I am not too familiar about how to cook gluten free, but have been hearing friends switching to this way of cooking for health reasons. I will pass this recipe on! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! I've never made one before. I think I'll try it with regular flour and make the chicken version for Kevan and a veggie pot pie w/cream of mushroom soup for myself. I've also had veggie pot pies with a mostly broccoli and cheddar base. That might be a nice variation with or without the chicken. Mmmm....I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I had a life-changing pot pie experience last night. It was AMAZING! I made a vegetarian one with cream of mushroom soup and tofu for myself and the chicken version for Kevan. For some reason I don't own pie pans, so I used a couple of deeper pyrex containers and was able to use more veggies in the filling. I used wheat flour, added some fresh carrots and onions and upped the temp to 360 because our oven runs a little cool, but other than that, it was by your recipe. Wow! This is going to be a new staple. I felt like I ate a stick of butter because I did, but it was oh so good! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    By the way I had the same problem with Bob Red Mill's flour. King Arthur Flour also has gluten-free flour. It comes in a 24 ounce box. If you want to try it, there's no yucky bean after taste, nor is it as gritty as some of the others. I know Kroger carries it as well as Meijer, but local stores should as well. If not see if the store can order it for you, or go to www.kingarthurflour.com, and you can order it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband (and I) LOVED this dish. Here are the modifications we used, to great effect:
    1) Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix makes an absolutely lovely and delicious crust. A teensy bit sweet, but it went well with what it carried.
    2) I mixed an egg and coated the top crust with it before baking. The result was a gorgeous, shiny, non-cracked crust.
    3) Since this was to be a recipe using the left-overs from a roast chicken the previous night, I boiled the bones (etc) in a covered pot overnight to make the chicken broth. SUPERIOR to the canned stuff! And uses the whole bird, is healthier, cheaper, better for the environment, and will make you taller, thinner, and wealthier. But really, it's way tastier. Just be sure to separate the fat from the good part of the broth when you're ready to use it.
    4) We used frozen peas, but also FRESH peeled carrots that we let cook in the chicken broth until soft, and then cut up and added to the peas.

    My husband hasn't gotten to eat a pot-pie in ages. This earned me major wife-points. THANK YOU!!!

    -Betsy

    P.S. I took photos, but don't know how to send them to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I've been missing pot pie. We're having this tonight, though I'm going to make the crust right now, hopefully it will be okay chilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the recipe, I am making this tonight to bring in the NY. I will provide feed back tomorrow :)

    HJR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jade@FaithintheShade.blogspot.comJune 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM

    Why am I JUST NOW seeing this?!?!?!?! AHHHH! I will make one asap! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just tried it last night, it was a hit! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...