Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gluten-Free Almond Flour Bread Recipe

I've been on the hunt for a good gluten-free bread recipe for several months now. I'm pretty picky. I tried a few bread mixes and was not pleased with the results. My options for gluten-free flours are fairly limited and I was hesitant to order anything I hadn't already tried. I thought perhaps I'd just have to go without bread for a while. The thought made me ridiculously sad. I like bread. Who doesn't?
Then my mom saved the day. She sent me a recipe for almond flour bread (she got it from a good friend) and ordered me a big box of almond flour (I suspect it was an "I'm really, really excited you're pregnant/it stinks you can't eat gluten again" present). My mom is amazing and and knows what it's like to have a restricted diet. Since it's not something I can get at a store around here I was super excited when the box of flour arrived. I opened it up and found that the bag of flour inside the box had not been sealed. It was full of tiny ants. 

I was no longer excited. Almond flour bread with ants was not what I had in mind. 
Luckily, my mom was able to get a refund and ordered me another big box of almond flour from another company (this one to be specific). It arrived double bagged and ant free. In addition to not having ants in the flour we received a few hilarious emails about our order that were filled with really nutty puns.

I was ready to start baking.

Long story short, I love the almond flour bread. It looks and feels more like a dessert bread (it's fairly dense) but since it's not sweet it's great for sandwiches and perfect for toast. It's not as dry or crumbly or grainy as a lot of gluten-free breads and, most importantly, it's really quick and easy to make.

Ingredients: 
3 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well with a spoon. Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (I greased my pan with butter). Even out the top gently with your spoon.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.

Use a toothpick or knife to double check the bread is cooked all the way through. The toothpick/knife should come out clean and dry when the bread is done.

Let the bread cool completely in the pan. If you remove it from the pan before it's totally cool it might flop.

As soon as my bread is cool, I'll slice a few pieces and take a few more photos...

Do you have a favorite gluten-free bread recipe?

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Frugal Friday, Seasonal Celebration Sunday, My Meatless Monday, Monday Mania, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Adorned From Above, and Meatless Monday at Veggie Mama.

30 comments:

  1. Thank you, thankyou, thank you! I too, miss bread, and have been looking for a good, EASY recipe. This fits the bill perfectly! Looking forward to trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it okay if I pin this post on Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, feel free to pin it! I hope you enjoy your bread!

      Delete
  3. Is the cooking temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- this has to go in my list of recipes to follow up and make, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make lots of gluten free quick breads. If you would like, I will look through my blogs and let you know where to find them.

    I love yours with the almond flour and it is being featured, this week at My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. - the bread has baked and is cooling per your instructions .... good heavens, the house smells awesome ! Took some photos; can't wait to the taste-time to roll around !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily can the yougurt be replaced with anything ? I want to make it today but no yougurt :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I didn't respond sooner! I'm actually not sure what you could replace the yogurt with. Perhaps applesauce or sour cream? Let me know if you tried anything different and how it turned out!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this recipe! I'm on a low-carb diet right now and I've been wanting a good lower carb bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe, i can't wait to try it. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. I am really excited about trying this recipe.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just happened to receive 5 lbs of almond flour friday, and just got done making home made yogurt, so timing for this was great! only thing I did different was added 1 tblsp of sweetener. it's in the oven now! can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg this stuff is awesome! it's more the consistancy of a cornbread, but definitely sliceable and really good toasted for sandwiches. this is gonna be a go-to bread from now on! came out really perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you liked it!! What kind of sweetener did you use??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Number of variety bread recipes are good and cooking very easy at home. Thanks for giving. Especially i like Gluten Free Almond Flour Bread Recipe is very tasty and healthy dish for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been looking for a yeast-free, almond flour only bread recipe. Luckily I found this. So I tried it just now, with a few alterations... Not because I thought it would enhance anything but because it was all i had haha.

    3 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
    I used Bob's Red Mill - 16 oz bag. Almost used up a whole bag..
    3 eggs
    Not sure if anyone could possibly care but i used large eggs! lol
    1/4 cup melted butter
    I used Country Crock spread, not melted..although I found olive oil after that I
    should have used -_-
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 cup plain yogurt
    Yogurt was more expensive, so I used sour cream.
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Also, I added ~1 tbsp of honey to it. I really just try and find a way to use honey on everything....
    In the oven, in a disposable loaf pan (not sure where my actual loaf pan is), it smells great. There was a lot of batter. I'm a little worried it will spill over.. I have checked on it and it seems to be fine, though. It is rising beautifully.


    Once it cooled off to my liking I popped it out of the pan and really looked at it. Unfortunately, my oven is still new to me. I should have rotated it halfway through, as a result it seemed a little toasted towards the back and a little soft towards the front.
    I sliced a few pieces off of the soft end, and all I can say is amazing. This side does seem to have a slightly cornbread-ish consistency, so I may try toasting a few slices in the oven. I also plan on trying to make french toast out of it, and also freezing the loaf for storage. If I remember I will post back here with my results!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious! Used the recipe but added 2 tsp of maple syrup to sweeten it a little bit. I think I'll make another loaf without it! This bread is perfect! You don't have to feel guilty about eating this. . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing!!! I did have to cook about twice as long then ended up changing the temp to 375° but what an amazing delicious recipe! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have tried different almond flour recipes and this one looks larger than what I have made. mine however has 5 eggs. If I didn't use the yogurt would I need to add more eggs? I also add flax seed, chia seed, molasses and honey. I would like use you recipe and incorporate my tweaks. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this bread and it did not rise very high.....could you please help and tell me what I am doing incorrectly? Help!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're probably doing everything right! It doesn't rise very much at all. It's a very dense bread : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started from scratch with whole almonds. I put in food processor to grind and then followed your recipe. It came out fantastic. My daughter who's trying to eliminate carbs loved it and so did her family. I just made another loaf and I know it will be just as awesome. Thank you so much for sharing. AG Nokomis,FL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you use a glass loaf pan? Would you put the temp different?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, I made it yesterday and while it tastes great, it's falling apart. I'm going to try adding a tsp of guar gum next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this tonight, and it's great! I added a tsp of agave nectar. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love love this bread! Super fast and easy! I'm wondering if the almond flour could be replaced by coconut flour since almond flour is so expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've tried a few almond flour bread recipes and this one is FAR AND AWAY the best. I made them as savory muffins with garlic and parsley. Have you ever made sweet muffins from this recipe? I'd be interested in making some. I attempted banana muffins and substituted some banana for the yogurt. They taste good, but they sank in the middle.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...