Monday, May 7, 2012

10 Weeks and Several FAQ's

Here's the 10 week belly picture:
So far my symptoms are pretty much the same: nausea, headaches, fatigue. I just keep reminding myself it will pass. I'm happy to be pregnant and know this part won't last forever. But enough about that.

I've been getting a lot of questions lately and I thought I'd give some quick answers.

Q: When is L. going to stop breastfeeding?
A: I don't know. We'll just have to see. So far she's still happily nursing. She's not nursing as much (we're down to maybe 4 times a day) but she still wants to nurse. I haven't yet noticed a change in my milk production although my breasts grew a whole size a week ago Saturday. Yes, they grew on Saturday. It happened quite suddenly. They were their normal size at breakfast and a size bigger by mid-afternoon. L. hasn't seemed to notice but I did. So did my husband.

I know that milk production can decrease toward the end of second trimester and that many toddler wean themselves when the colostrum comes in during third trimester. Some kids don't like the change in taste. We'll just have to wait to see how L. reacts. For right now, I'm focusing on enjoying our nursing moments and am planning to read Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond. I never really thought about tandem nursing before but now that I'm pregnant and nursing it's definitely a possibility.

Q: Are you planning a home birth?
A:
Yes, we're planning a home birth. Our daughter was born in an free-standing birth center (it was unattached to a hospital or medical facility) and it was wonderful experience. I loved our midwives and I loved the birth center. It was like a cushy, spacious Bed and Breakfast. When L was born we were living on a small sailboat and wanted a water birth (please, spare me the bad jokes. I've heard them all!). We decided the birth center was our best option for a home-birth-like experience. Since we're currently living on land and have space in our bedroom for a birthing tub, we're planning a home birth this time around. I'll elaborate on all our reasons for choosing a home birth in a later post. In the meantime here are a few books/films that make me really excited about a home birth:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
The Business of Being Born
Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife

Q: Have you found a midwife?
A: Yes, we've found a wonderful and very experienced midwife. We're excited to be working with her. We have our second appointment tomorrow evening and I can't wait! I'm hoping we'll be able to hear the heartbeat for the first time. We didn't hear L's heartbeat until 13 weeks but we hadn't tried earlier than that. I know there is a slim chance a heartbeat could be heard as early as 10 weeks and I'm crossing my fingers!

Okay, I'm going to go lay down while my wonderful toddler is napping. I'm trying to do that more days than not. Have a lovely Monday!

This post is part of the Natural Parenting Group's Monday Blog Hop.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on childbirth - I see that you are planning a home birth and have some excellent resources listed. I will check these out :}. I also just finished another good read by Laura Kaplan Shanley called, Unassisted Childbirth. I highly recommend this one - the author has been through the experience herself successfully and also offers wonderful advice on how to have your baby at home. You can find the author's website here: http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read that lowering your intake of sugar and all carbohydrates to less than 100g/day should help with morning sickness. I've obviously never tried it, but maybe it's worth a shot? Probably good to be off the stuff while you're pregnant anyway if you can manage to, as lowering sugar intake also seems to help childbirth go smoothly. Good luck with the home birth, btw. Can't wait to hear all about it! - Antesa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Homebirth is AMAZING! If I never have to, I will NEVER go back to the hospital. It was so nice to be able to just stay home and be totally comfortable and feel so safe. Plus, it's so awesome to be tucked into your own bed after the baby is born! :) I'm SO excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had to giggle at your breasts growing in a few hours- my youngest recently weaned and i had the opposite happen, it was as if someone pulled the plug and they deflated atleast a whole size overnight. our bodies never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...