Monday, March 26, 2012

Roasted Zucchini & Tomato Pasta

I got this recipe from a close friend and it's perfect for a summer day. I am super excited to share it today. It's simple, fresh, and easy to make. And it's a wonderful way to use all the tomatoes and zucchini you'll have from your garden this summer! You're planting a garden right?
I admit we didn't actually plant zucchini this time around. We're debating whether or not we can make a space for one. If we can't find the perfect spot, I'm sure we'll be able to find zucchini at the farmer's market. 

Okay, here we go.
Ingredients: 
2.5 lbs. zucchini cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1.5 lbs. plum or Roma tomatoes cut into 3/4 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
6 Tbls. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 lb. long fusilli or linguine noodles (I used Quinoa spaghetti noodles to make it gluten free and that worked just fine)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese plus extra for serving

Heat your oven to 450 degrees F.

On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic with 5 Tbls. olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast until the zucchini is slightly browned (about 20-25 minutes).

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. When the noodles are cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain and toss the noodles with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Transfer to a large bowl.

Pour the reserved pasta water onto the baking sheet with the veggies. Scrape with a wooden spoon to loosen any yummy brown bits.

Stir the veggies and juices into the pasta. Add the parsley and parmesan. Toss to combine.

Sprinkle with parmesan before serving.  

My husband and daughter absolutely love this dish. I suspect we'll be making it frequently this summer. In my opinion it is the quintessential summer meal.

7 comments:

  1. I am thinking......this is tomorrow night's dinner. Thanks to you......and for sharing this on My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm this has me craving summer! this is also one of my favorite summer dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am back. I did make this but changed the vegetables to what I had in the house. My husband went back for thirds so you know, it was a star in our repetoire of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was a success! We're already planning which vegetables we'll use next time. It's a very versatile dish!

      Delete
  4. I cooked this tonight, and it was yum yum! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this at Gluten-Free Wednesdays for September's pasta theme. I'm sure many people still have zucchini and tomatoes in their gardens, and this is a perfect way to use them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...