Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Best Gluten-Free Breakfast Ever

In case I haven't mentioned it before, I can't eat gluten anymore. I've had issues with it in the past and, once again, it seems to be the source of my problems. I have yet to find a gluten-free bread recipe I love so I'm currently not able to enjoy eggs and toast for breakfast. Since I've been missing my eggs and toast, I had to come up with something else. 
I don't even know what to call this dish. It's currently my favorite breakfast option: two eggs on a crunchy corn tortilla topped with fresh pico de gallo and a little cotija cheese.

And it turns out it's much, much better.
Here's what you need:
-One flat, crispy corn tortilla (you can buy them ready made or make your own by baking soft corn tortillas in the oven)
-Two eggs
-Fresh pico de gallo salsa
-Salt and Pepper (to taste) 
-Cotija cheese (Feta or another salty, crumbly cheese would work fine)

Put the flat, crispy tortilla on your plate. Cook the two eggs over easy (or over medium or hard, whatever you prefer). I cook mine in a small non-stick frying pan with a little butter. That way the eggs never stick to the pan (they slide around easily) and I can flip them by picking up the pan and gently tossing them instead of using a spatula. I do it over the sink in case I miss...

After the eggs are cooked, slide them from the pan onto the tortilla. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Add some pico and cotija cheese.

Now you're done making one serving. Do it all again if you're cooking for more than just yourself!

I'm sure someone, somewhere has made something like this before. If anyone knows of an official name that already exists for this dish, let me know. It's delicious. I've been serving it with a little yogurt and fruit on the side and it's seriously the best breakfast ever.

Tomorrow I might add some avocado and make it that much better! 

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Gluten-Free Wednesday, and Frugal Friday.

6 comments:

  1. This looks good! I'm always looking for interesting ways to serve eggs for breakfast.
    My husband is allergic to gluten as well, but doesn't really care for eggs and toast anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband doesn't care for eggs either...I go through phases where I really want protein in the morning, I'll eat eggs everyday for a few weeks and then not need them for a while. When I could eat gluten I always liked them on toast. I'm not a fan of eggs all by themselves : ) I hope you enjoy the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you had me at avocado. Initially while I was reading this post I thought, "Yeah, I suppose it sounds good? I do love eggs in the morning, and the combo of textures and flavors sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try it?"

    But when you mentioned the thought of adding an avocado? *Salivating* That just makes it all perfect.

    My Hubs has issues with gluten too. We're not gluten free, but for his sake, we should probably be. I'll have to try this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your hubs has gluten issues! I hope he likes this recipe : ) I was fairly bitter about being gluten free at first but have realized there are a million good recipes that are naturally gluten free. You can do a whole lot without actually having to do substitutions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound really good. I'll give it a try soon. Thanks for sharing it at Gluten-Free Wednesdays for May's egg theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh I have that almost every Sunday as my family love it too. I also add mushrooms and baby spinach which sustains me all morning. I was diagnosed 16 years ago and embrace all the opportunities I have explored to aid my foodie cravings!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...